Saturday, March 24, 2012

Insert Interesting Title Here...

It's been 2 months since my last post.  I never claimed to be good at this whole blog thing. Thanks to my loyal fan (surely there's at least one) for being patient with me. 

My diabetes is still under control.  I check my glucose twice a day, and for the most part it stays in the 90-115's...if I eat too much fruit or carbs before bed it is higher at night, but usually back down by morning.  My last Dr. appointment was on December 29th.  My A1C was 8, which was still t0o high, but it had only been a 2 months since my diagnosis.  I'll be tested again on March 29th, and I'm hoping that my A1C is at 6, which is normal.  On a positive note, my cholesterol went from 218 to 86.  I haven't talked to my Dr. since my blood test, but I'm hoping that he will allow me to stop taking my cholesterol medication when I see him in a few days.  

My diet is going well.  I've added more carbs to my diet, but only fruits and whole grain bread.  I've lost a total of 47 pounds since my first doctors appointment.  I'm trying not to focus on the number on the scale, but living a healthy lifestyle.  When I focus on the scale I get frustrated if I don't see big steps in the right directions.  I'm trying to remind myself, that while the weight is coming of slowly (1lb a week average) it's coming off!  It seems like when I get excited about hitting a weight milestone, I jinx myself.  For example, I feel like I've weighed between 205-200 lbs FOREVER!!  The other morning I weighed and finally saw 199.8!  Hallelujah!  This may not seem like a big milestone, but for me it was huge!  The next morning I weighed in at 202! Argh!  So frustrating.  However, I reminded myself that I made healthy food choices, exercised...and success is not just seen on the scale.

Speaking of exercise, I've been working out with my friend on Tuesday mornings, and it's not as unbearable as I feared.  She doesn't judge me and is extremely encouraging.  Don't get me wrong, it is HARD...but also rewarding.  I actually think I may have some muscles in this body of mine.  In addition to working out with Nicole on Tuesdays, I'm taking a Zumba class on Thursdays.  I've enjoyed the class and have convinced several friends to join me most of the time.  I don't know that I would go without them...so I owe them a big THANK YOU!  I try to go to the gym at least one other day a week and usually spend about 30-45 min on the treadmill.  I've even made it to 2.5 miles, which for someone who hates exercise...is quite an accomplishment!  I even run for about 5 min at a time.  I entered the lottery for the Peachtree Road Race this year, and hope to 'train' (and I use the term loosely) so that I can run a mile then walk a mile and hopefully finish in a decent time.

That's about it as far as where I am in my journey to living a healthy lifestyle....maybe I'll actually update again next week after my appointment...or it may be a few months...who knows :)


No comments: