Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving: Week 2 Update

So I'm not the most creative with my titles...but oh well. Last week was a pretty good week. I'm anxious to get started with my diabetic education classes. This has been my #1 frustration. I don't know how to best change my eating habits, and don't necessarily trust the online information I'm finding. When I was first diagnosed on 11/9/11 Dr. Newton said that he was referring me to diabetic education. I never heard from the office so I called the following Monday to ask and was told that since Dr. Newton is new to the practice they still haven't worked out some communication kinks, and therefore didn't get the referral. I had an appointment 2 days later and still had not heard from the referral nurse. After talking to Dr. Newton I went to the referral desk to find out what the hold up was. I was told that the classes are only offered once per month, and that I had already missed the November class (which was 'usually' the 3rd week of the month). As of today, I have STILL NOT HEARD as to when the December class is! It is so frustrating! So for now my meals consist of 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and a chicken breast and veggie (usually collard greens or asparagus) for lunch and dinner. I keep sugar free jello in the fridge for the evenings when I want something that's sweet. I can't wait to know exactly how many carbs I can have so that I can (hopefully) reintroduce fruit to my diet! It is getting really difficult eating the same thing everyday...and I'm afraid that if I don't introduce some variety I'm setting myself up for failure.

Weight watchers what disappointing last week. I lost 1.7 lbs. I know that it's a loss, but that's only 4 lbs in 2 weeks. It seems that I should be losing more with the lack of carbs/calories that I'm eating....but I'm trying to remind myself that a loss is a loss!

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and I did really well. We had a non-traditional meal of beef tenderloin, collard greens, asparagus, cauliflower mash, and sweet potato fries. I didn't eat the sweet potatoes or the cauliflower, but mainly because I wasn't really that hungry (PTL!) I did have a slice of sugar-free pumpkin pie that I made...and it was really good!

My blood sugars are slowly going down. On average it runs in the 130's. Dr. Newton says that my fasting sugar needs to be at 100 or I'm going to have to start a non-insulin shot. I can not imagine having to give myself a shot everyday so I'm REALLY praying that by my appointment next Wednesday they will be at 100!

No comments: